The present dilapidated condition of the buildings (mentioned in the previous chapter), together with the precarious situation of the inhabitants and the unpleasant way in which the troops were quartered, were more than enough reasons to request the transfer of the Arrabal. The dilapidated condition of the place was perfectly illustrated in an attached plan. . .
On February 10, 1764, the chief engineer of Menorca, Pat Mackellar, proposed the transfer of the Arrabal de San Felipe because it was too close to the fortification. In fact, it is one of the accepted maxims for the defense of fortified sites: move everything that is in the sight of the cannon since it. . .
The Minorca Military Consortium has edited a promotional video of the San Felipe Castle with unpublished images of the monumental site that have been recorded using a drone. The initiative represents a point and followed in the work of disseminating the military heritage of the port of Mahón, but on this occasion the resource of. . .
The Minorca Military Consortium has made headlines in the media on the Island, in particular, and in the Balearic Islands, in general, as a result of its initiatives focused on new technologies and environmental sustainability. In the first place, it is worth noting the announcement made public days ago in relation to the installation of. . .
At the beginning of May, the monuments managed by the Menorca Military Consortium, that is, the San Felipe Castle, the Menorca Military Museum and La Mola, reopened their doors to allow visits to their facilities. This reopening has been carried out with important innovations that have in common a clear commitment to new technologies and. . .
In the context of the War of Succession to the Spanish throne at the beginning of the 18th century (a veritable international conflagration between European powers of the time), English troops occupied the Rock of Gibraltar (1704) and the island of Menorca on behalf of Charles of Austria. (1708). Through the Treaty of Utrecht (1713),. . .
The English garrison and other besieged in San Felipe the day they surrendered numbered 3,101 people: 2 lieutenant generals, 1 field marshal, 3 colonels, 4 lieutenant colonels, 11 majors, 38 captains, 80 lieutenants, 27 second lieutenants, 2,501 between sergeants, corporals and soldiers, 3 chaplains, 17 surgeons and doctors, 3 advisers, 154 women, 221 children and. . .
After almost two months weakening the fort with artillery, on January 6, 1782, the final assault began. The Duke of Crillón went with his aides and generals to the Talaiot de Trepucó, from where a volley of rifles was launched, followed by another from the French and another from the Germans (the French were camped. . .
On November 11, the besiegers’ mortar batteries began to function. In the early days, the only damage inside the Castle was a small 6-pounder cannon. The Castle’s gunners also managed to sink a supply ship that was attempting to unload at the Georgetown dock. Minister José Moñino y Redondo, Count of Floridablanca, sent the largest. . .
Governor Murray began the defense of San Felipe Castle with two objectives: to await the arrival of a relief convoy and to hold out as long as possible to help his comrades in Gibraltar. The defense comprised the Castle itself; to the south, separated by Cala San Esteban, was Fort Malborough and, to the north,. . .