This coastal defense tower was built upon the arrival of the English in the last period of occupation of Menorca in 1798, when they found the island’s defenses dismantled. Newly built the tower received the name of Stuart, who was then the general governor of Menorca. Later it was also known as Torre de Binisaida and, finally, by Torre d’en Penjat (of the hanged man).
It is a construction whose design is very similar to two other towers built some 15 years earlier by the engineer brigadier Santander in Punta Prima and Alcaufar.
This tower had two floors and the upper terrace. The lower floor, at ground level, was divided into several rooms that were used to store gunpowder, a warehouse for food and another for weapons, in addition to the cistern dug in the basement.
In 1989 it was restored to its original shape from the late 18th century.