The military story of Menorca from the Eneolithic to the present day
Nowadays it´s situated in Es Castell´s main square, in a building constructed in 1771, now named Cala Corb Barracks.
The British named the new town GEORGETOWN, while later on the Spanish renamed it VILLACARLOS (both in honor of their respective Kings George III, and Carlos III).
The building had previously been Military Hospital, Artillery Academy , Menorca´s coastal Regiment.
With new contents, new show rooms, can now be visited. The Museum has it´s exhibits in two levels. The main entrance is at the Explanada square and the visitors are met at the first floor, from where the visit starts.
Each room is dedicated to an historical theme, a moment of Menorca´s military history from Neolithic period up to present time:
- Prehistoric monuments
- Foreign dominations
- Spanish conquest of Menorca
- Port Mahon Naval Base and maritime history
- Isabel II fortress at La Mola peninsula
- Treaty of Amiens ( Menorca, Spanish again)
- Artillery in Menorca
- Infantry in Menorca
- Menorca´s defenses during Spain´s Civil war (1936-1939)
- Llucalary Hall
- Spain´s Civil war anti aircraft shelters