Could not save XML file
Could not save marker XML file (/usr/home/museomilitarmenorca/www/wp-content/uploads/wp-google-maps/3markers.xml) for Map ID 3
Menorca´s Military Museum, was opened in 1981, the same year as the bi-centenary of the conquest of Minorca by Spanish troops. The museum´s first home was in one of the powder magazines in the castle of San Felipe.
Some years later the museum was transferred to the 18th century barracks of Cala Corp in the main square of Es Castell. Built by the British in 1771, during their second occupation of Menorca, it was called Georgetown after King George III. The barracks were home to the Military Hospital, Menorca´s Coastal Regiment, and finally to the Military Museum.
The museum is spread over two floors of the old barracks. The first floor concentrates on the rich military history of the island from the colossal walls of Son Catlar to the fort of La Mola, including the various occupations of the island. The entrance to the museum is on the first floor, and has eleven large rooms, the library, video room and the administrative offices. The ground floor has five further rooms with 16th-20th century cannons, and another room housing the 15 inch Vickers guns, fire systems and other optical equipment for gun sighting. In addition, a new room was inaugurated on June the 2nd 2018, giving access to the anti-aircraft shelters of the Civil War.
The Military Museum is the headquarters of the Consortium.